Vocals: The main vocals on the verse were recorded with a Audio Technica AT4050/CM5 into an Art Tube MP and then into the ADAT. The pre-amp input on the Art Tube MP was set very low and we used the +20db of gain which enabled us to bring the actual input level down very low and keep it very clean (this allowed a very loud vocal scream without any mic or tube distortion). For The vocal chorus we ran through the digitech vocal 300 pedal board. We doubled the chorus tracks. For the mix down, we processed the vocals in stereo with multiple processors. Lexicon MPX 1 was the main one and we used patch 119 and a digitch studio v2 quad on patch 77 but we only used auxilary 1 which accessed the hall.
Clean Guitars: Mono track. We used a Fender USA telecaster. We ran the tele into the mesa and used a shure beta 57. For mix down we processed the clean guitar with the Roland GP-16. We used a ton of compression, a little reverb, eq, and a slight bit of chorus. We save the settings and used patch 11 on block A. The clean guitar was used as a thickening tool but sits back in the mix to allow the distored tracks and guitars to pump the song.
Distorted Guitars 1:For the main crunch we used the mesa boogie trem-o-verb amp and a Gibson Gary moore Guitar. We used a mesa 2x12 cabinet and a shure beta sm-57. For the mix down, we added a slight bit of eq on the board and 0 effects. This track was also used for the second half of the main solo at which point we added a mix b on the mixing console to get the guitar panning on both sides and added a touch of lexicon mpx-1 hall reverb and a touch of studio quad v2 on patch 77 3: room for 2 different reverb sounds on the solo. The main rhythm is heard on the right side of the mix for this track. 16 bit.
Distored Guitars 2: This track can be heard on the left side of the mix. We used a fender 40th anniversary stratocaster with hot rail pickups in the bridge and used the bridge pickup. We used a mesa boogie trem-o-verb amp. We used the orange channel in vintage mode, soaked and recitfied. For the cabinet, we ended up using the over sized mesa 4x12 and put the mic on the bottom speaker. We used a standard shure sm-57 mic. 0 effects were used during mix down for this track. 16 bit. (also used this setup for the guitar outro with a steve vai wah.
Guitar solo 1: We got lazy and used the digital scratch track from a line 6 ax2.
Guitar solo main 1: Lazy again and used the line 6. (also used for the second pick slide after machine gun hand).
Guitar overdub on last chorus: Ok, we experimented with this one. We used the cort into the mesa orange channel in vintage mode, soaked and rectifed. Big mesa 4x12 cab. For the mic, we used the AT 4050/CM5. We placed the mic about 6 feet away from the amp and put it into a figure 8 config. This track was also used through out the ending solo at the very end of the song.
Bass: We used an Ibanez bass and ran it into the art tube mp to warm it up. The bass tracks landed on the fostex at 16 bit. We added a slight bit of reverb from the lexicon mpx 1 to give it a stereo spread during mixdown.
Drums: For the drum tracks we used a Roland TD-8 digital kit. We were pressed for tracks so we only used the Main outs and used 2 tracks in stereo. We added a bunch of stereo reverb from the Digitech Studio Quad V2 to try and make them sound big. We used patch 77
Mixing Console: We used a Behringer 9000 for the final mix.
Recorders: We used a Fostex d-90 16 bit at 48 KHZ which was synchronized with the Alesis ADAT 20 bit at 48 Khz.
*The final mix was sent to the T.C. Electronic Finalizer plus, then out of the SPDIF port on the tc and into the spdif on the sound card and used the software sony sound forge to turn it into the mp3 at 128 KB/S. Note: For this song we bypassed the DAT machine because of a bad cable running between the tc and Dat for the digital connection.
Engineers/Musicians: Greg Dunsmore, Jeff Dunsmore, Joe Sewanich, and Eric Cralle.
*REMEMBER - This is a Lost Souls Band home recording!